Can you guess why November is so special to our family? While I would be excited if my husband would let me participate in No Shave November, I was thinking of something a little different. November is National Adoption Awareness Month!
This adoption awareness month is dedicated to focusing on adoption of waiting children in foster care and orphanages. It literally represents the lives of hundreds of thousands of children without families waiting to be adopted.
Two and a half years ago, God called my husband and I to take hurting children into our family. He opened our eyes to multitudes of children desperate for a safe, compassionate home to show them His love. He reminded us over and over of His heart for those children.
“Father to the fatherless, defender of widows – this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.” Psalm 68:5,6
I have lost count of the number of times I have heard that someone could never foster or adopt children because of their fear of taking in and loving a child, only to have the child go home or to another family. While my family has felt that pain many times, I have learned that this journey is not about me and my desires – it’s about God and His desires. God’s call to care for orphans isn’t to fill a need in our lives, or to help us avoid pain or difficulty. In fact, God has blessed us by using every piece of our foster and adoption experience, good and bad, to reveal more of Himself to us.
I understand that not all are called to foster or adopt, but we are all called to love “the least of these.” So in honor of National Adoption Awareness Month, I am offering a list of ways anyone can help:
- Pray for children waiting to be adopted
- Pray for children and families involved in foster care
- Support foster or adoptive families in your church or community
- Volunteer as a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) and be a voice for a child
If you want to know more about fostering and adopting children, check out these resources:
- www.bethany.org – Bethany Christian Services
- www.icareaboutorphans.org – Focus on the Family’s Orphan Care Initiative
- www.lbch.org or call 1-318-343-2244 – Louisiana Baptist Children’s Home assists in foster care, adopting locally, and adopting internationally
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org – I would love to help you get started!