It does not seem very long ago that I was a little boy scared of the dark. I can still go back more than twenty years to our first home on Briarcliff Road in West Monroe. I would lay in my bed trying to keep my mind from racing.
Then I hear a sweet and soft voice. It is the voice of my mom singing a song that always calmed me and reminded me that I was safe. I know it ended with
the line, “My fathers angels all protect me everywhere”.
Years come and go and life changes, and thank goodness I no longer need her to sing to me in order to combat a fear of the dark. She is still impacting me and leaving a legacy in my life.
I can name at least five roles that my mother has always played, and I pray will always play in my life.
- Mother as prayer warrior – I remember walking into my mom’s bedroom and hearing her praying for my brother and me, and for our future. She prayed for a godly wife, and for God’s will in my life when I was still playing tee ball.
- Mother as encourager – I believe that I can do incredible things because of the encouragement that I received from my mother. This was not meaningless “you can do it baby” statements, but statements that called out the man and the giftings inside of me.
- Mother as listening ear – I was a talker from a very young age, and my mother has listened to a lot of conversations from me. She consistently listened with an open ear and a loving heart. Her willingness to simply listen keeps me going to her even as a 31 year old man to talk to my momma.
- Mother as caretaker – One of the greatest gifts of my life has been being cared for and nurtured by a mom who cherished her role as a mother. This has become more meaningful in recent days, as I now get to watch her care for and love my little girl.
- Mother as friend – We are long past the days of mom washing my clothes and caring for my other needs. I know that we will never be past the days of friendship. I am so blessed to call one of the Godliest women I know my mom, but as I grow older I love the fact that I call her FRIEND.
To all of the sons and daughters out there: I encourage you to take some time to think about the roles your mother played in your life that will forever impact you.
To all of the mothers out there:
The roles you play have eternal impact. I hope that you will continue to carry out those roles with integrity and passion as long as you live. You will remain
a mother long after children have left your home.
Happy Mothers Day Renea Guiles Taylor! You continue to be one of the greatest blessings in my life.